HOME is a major voice in the discussion of housing, economic recovery, and social equality.
Because we work closely with individuals and families all over Virginia, we are able to identify key issues that create inequalities in housing and advocate for change on a systemic level.
Learn more about HOME’s legislative priorities for the 2020 Virginia General Assembly:
Keep scrolling to sign up for updates on our advocacy during this year’s session!
Just a few examples of HOME’s priorities are:
- Establishing sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes in fair housing laws.
- Including protections for source of income in fair housing laws.
- Campaigning against discriminatory mortgage lending practices.
- Upholding disparate impact as a legal argument in fair housing.
- Encouraging individualized assessments for those with criminal backgrounds in their search for housing.
- Examining and correcting the exclusion of public transportation to the suburbs and how it segregates our community.