Buying a home is the largest purchase you will make, and certainly one of your most important decisions.
Owning your home provides security, stability for your family, and helps you to build personal wealth. It’s important to us that you understand your rights as a purchaser, that you are aware of the pitfalls, and are able to financially manage paying your mortgage for years to come. Since 1975, we’ve been educating buyers just like you. We offer free help, including one-on-one pre-purchase counseling, group classes taught by industry professionals, money management tools, credit recovery classes, and more.
Managing Your Money & Credit Workshop
Our credit recovery & money management class is hosted at our location on the 1st Thursday of each month from 6-8pm. The class is free and there is no RSVP required. Call our office for more information.
HOME does not offer rental or mortgage financial assistance. For assistance, please contact Virginia 211, simply dial 211 or go to 211 Virginia.
HOME’s Steps to Homeownership.
To participate in HOME’s homeownership classes, counseling sessions, and qualify for down-payment assistance, you will follow the steps below.
- Submit an Application. Fill out the information below, then proceed to the online application. Allow up to 10 business days for us to process your application.
- Attend the online homebuyer education course. Currently, due to the Covid-19 Pandemic we are not holding in-person classes until further notice, however, you will be able to attend a virtual class offered by one of our partners.
- Meet with your counselor. Once your homebuyer education completion certificate is verified, a counselor will be assigned, and an appointment will be scheduled. Specific documents will be requested and must be received prior to the appointment. During the appointment you will discuss your financial situation, what you will need to do to become fully ready to purchase a home, and how much of a mortgage loan your budget can accommodate. Also, if you need and qualify for down payment and closing cost financial assistance, you will learn how to access that money.
- Get your affairs in order. Establish and follow a spending plan, save money, and meet with your counselor for additional sessions.
- Find and buy your home. By this time you will know how to work with a real estate agent, what to look for, how to get a good mortgage, and what to expect at closing when you sign the loan documents and finalize the purchase of your home.
- Celebrate and enjoy your new home! Make sure you let us know how you are doing. We are here to help you past any bumps along the road!
In order to complete a homeownership packet, please answer the questions below.