Housing Opportunities Made Equal of Virginia, Inc. (HOME) is Virginia’s premier fair housing and housing counseling organization, offering a variety of programs and services designed to ensure equal access to housing for all Virginians. HOME is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation and a HUD‐approved housing counseling agency.
HOME was founded in 1971 to fight discrimination in housing access. Many of HOME's victories are well known, setting U.S. Supreme Court precedents and providing national impact. View an overview of HOME's history.
HOME's mission is to ensure equal access to housing for all people.
Each area of HOME focuses on a key area in the battle for equal housing access.
HOME enacts its mission to ensure equal housing access for all people through extensive research, housing counseling and education, fair housing advocacy and housing policy. These programs all endeavor to help HOME achieve its 7 Stepping Stones to Housing Equality.
- Eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in homeownership
- Eliminate housing discrimination and unfair practices
- Decrease concentrations of poverty
- Lower the rate of mortgage default
- Desegregate housing patterns
- Help more people become homeowners
- Increase the availability of affordable housing
The 7 Stepping Stones to Housing Equality in Virginia are significant goals that provide for tremendous social and economic benefits to our commonwealth. Please join us as we work to improve access for all Virginians.