Rent Relief Program Resources
Virginia is administering relief for renters experiencing a negative financial impact due to the COVID-19 pandemic through the Virginia Rent Relief Program (RRP). You can now apply through Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME) of VA and other statewide partners. Staff will assist you in completing the online RRP application and obtaining the needed documentation. Through this state program, you can apply to receive funds to pay delinquent rent payments back to April 1, 2020 and forward to maintain housing stability. The total payments may not exceed a total of 18 months of rental assistance per household. Tenants in Chesterfield County or Fairfax County will need to apply directly through each locality’s program.
The Virginia RRP will provide financial help on behalf of renters who meet the following criteria:
- Have a valid lease agreement and live in the unit at time of application.
- Have a rent amount that is at or below 150% Fair Market Rent.
- Have a gross household income at or below 80% of the area median income.
- Have experienced a financial hardship directly or indirectly due to the COVID-19 pandemic including:
- Increase in expenses due to COVID-19, such as child care, medical bills, food cost, & utility bills.
- Laid off.
- Place of employment closed.
- Reduction in hours of work.
- Reduction or elimination of child or spousal support.
- Inability to find work due to COVID-19.
- Having to stay home with children due to distance learning / closure of day care or school.
- Unwilling or unable to participate in previous employment due to the workplace’s risk of illness from COVID-19.
- Not able to work and/or missed hours due to contracting, being exposed, or having to quarantine due to COVID-19.
For Renters needing help finding their local agency for assistance, click the links below or call 1-877-315-1200
For Landlords needing assistance with the Rent Relief Program (RRP): 1-877-501-3456